CITY OF OVERLAND PARK - POSITION DESCRIPTION
JOB SUMMARY STATEMENT: The City Trainer role will focus primarily on: Facilitating training sessions from
on-boarding to continued development to refresher training. This position assists with assessment, evaluation, and
development of both existing and new training programs and materials. The role is responsible for the development and
delivery of learning experience across the assigned area of responsibility as well as providing consultation through the
assessment, evaluation, and development of both existing and new training programs and materials.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
â- On-boarding employees and contingent workers to ensure they have the knowledge, skills and abilities to meet
customer expectations and enterprise goals.
â- Develop and deliver standardized system and process training via classroom methods.
â- Consult with program participants and management to evaluate the impact of training programs. Review quality
and performance records to determine opportunities for review and retraining needs that may be associate
â- Respond to specific training requests by HR leadership.
â- Provide feedback and conduct periodic retraining where quality or performance issues are noted or when system
or process changes require training.
â- Deliver customized program training via classroom or other methods.
â- Administer practical exercises to evaluate trainee's comprehension. Ensure training objectives and goals are
related to business objectives or client needs.
â- Responsible for ensuring all training records are documented and maintained
â- Researching, authoring, publishing, and maintenance of Process and other related documents in compliance
with established content standards using various authoring tools (KMS, MS Word, Dreamweaver, Flare, etc.).
â- Provides support on a variety of projects including systemic improvements/enhancements to existing
documentation flow and storage.
â- Build and deliver content - Facilitator Guides, Participant Workbooks, Worksheets, Job Aids, Exercises,
Coaching Guides, blended learning modules, and e-learning modules to meet Program Specific Procedures,
Compliance, Standard Operating Procedures, knowledge, and adherence.
â- Learning interactions will focus on competencies such as presentation, negotiation, communication, conflict
resolution, and procedural knowledge.
â- Play a key role in deploying and supporting strategic initiatives and enhancements from a learning perspective.
â- Use clear communication and cross-functional process management skills to ensure timely delivery of effective
training programs and sessions that add value in supporting the goals and initiatives of the business.
â- Support or participate in projects determined in conjunction with business partners, Directors and/or Managers.
â- Maintain awareness of new developments in training and instructional design and recommend modifications in
our curriculum and practices.
â- Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions. Represents the organization in
providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
â- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of critical tools and learning requirements
â- Performs other duties as assigned.
â- This position requires travel between business locations
â- This is an in office position
EDUCATION & SPECIAL LICENSE(S)/CERTIFICATIONS:
â- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
â- Certification in facilitation, adult learning, project management experience preferred
â- Possession of an appropriate valid driver's license.
â- Must maintain an insurable driving record.
â- 3-5 years relevant experience or Master's degree; operations or business environment experience
1. Ability to motivate employees, provide thought leadership and forward thinking
2. Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage heavy workload
3. Strong organizational skills, detail oriented and ability to multitask
4. Strong prioritization skills, able to handle multiple projects at once
5. Excellent presentation, facilitation and communication (verbal and written) skills
6. Proficient knowledge of Microsoft package, particularly on Word, Excel and PowerPoint
7. Understanding of adult learning principles and techniques
8. Excellent internal and external customer service skills
9. Experience with e-learning authoring tools, HTML expert, knowledge management tools preferred
10. Ability to identify customized strategies and tactics for success in training delivery
11. Able to problem solve and think analytically
1. Ability to read and comprehend city, state, and federal regulations
2. Ability to prioritize work
3. Ability to meet deadlines
4. Ability to recognize and protect confidential information
5. Ability to train and guide others
6. Ability to work on several projects at once
7. Ability to work in a hectic environment with many interruptions
8. Ability to perform basic math and apply basic accounting principles
9. Ability to work independently
10. Ability to learn and understand PC software applications
11. Alpha and numeric recognition
1. Exposure to extreme environmental conditions
2. Exposure to loud noises
3. Ability to distinguish smells
4. Ability to identify and distinguish colors
5. Ability to speak to individuals or groups for an extended period of time
6. Ability to operate various office equipment such as copier, scanner and personal computers
SEE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (Direct & Indirect):
â- Direct: None
â- Indirect: None
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by
employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of
all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job