CITY OF OVERLAND PARK - POSITION DESCRIPTION
JOB SUMMARY STATEMENT: Provides customer service and administrative support for the Community Services Division. Answers the telephone and assists the general public. Processes fees for various applications; maintains case files; enters appropriate information into case tracking software and creates correspondence as requested by staff. Performs general office duties as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides customer service and administrative support for the Community Services Division via telephone, emails and walk-ins. Greets visitors. Directs customers to the appropriate location or department for service. Process and track citizen requests for service in a work management system. May act as a receptionist; answers the telephone and waits on the general public; provides routine and general information on department and City policies and procedures as required; refers telephone calls to appropriate department personnel. May receive, sort and distribute mail.
2. Types and proofreads a variety of routine to complex documents including general correspondence, reports, memos, letters and forms. Maintains the divisions files.
3. Assign the Planning and Development Services Department's on-line customer requests to the responsible division.
4. Assists customers with filling out applications for various permits such as rental registration, temporary food service, food establishment and public or semi-public swimming pools. Processes fees for various applications. Maintains applications and forms. Checks for necessary updates. Serves as a notary public.
5. Enters appropriate information into case tracking software regarding permits and complaints. Receives and sorts mail, and responds to Community Service emails.
6. Performs a wide variety of clerical work including typing, maintaining files, handling record requests, printing and posting conference room schedules, scheduling conference rooms for meetings and ordering and setting up meals for various meetings.
7. May assist the Senior Customer Service Representative(s) and the Administrative Support Supervisor with making travel and meeting arrangements. May also help with the preparation and distribution of agenda items, packets, and the recording of meeting minutes.
8. May maintain calendars and schedules of activities, meetings and various events; sets up meetings and appointments; coordinates activities with other City Departments, the public and outside agencies; and ensures that meeting facilities are prepared. Processes purchasing information; order and maintain office supplies and reconcile invoices.
9. May maintain records of materials, supplies, equipment, and services obtained. May contact vendors for price quotes, to place orders, expedite delivery, and reconcile invoices. May prepare purchase orders, process payments, and update fixed asset files.
10. Performs miscellaneous and general office duties as needed.
11. The employee must work the days and hours necessary to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks. Must be available (especially during regular business hours or shifts) to communicate with subordinates, supervisors, customers, vendors and any other persons or organization with whom interaction is required to accomplish work and employer goals.
12. The employee must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled work breaks, where applicable.
The above duties and responsibilities include those tasks, physical and mental requirements, visual requirements, unique physical surroundings and mental/cognitive requirements listed in the Position Description Questionnaire and Task Analysis Worksheet.
EDUCATION & SPECIAL LICENSE(S)/CERTIFICATIONS:
Basic education which includes courses in typing, general office practices, office machines, customer service and business communications or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Required to obtain and maintain a notary public.
Two years of clerical/customer support experience.
1. Oral and written communication skills
2. Basic math and accounting skills
3. Analytical skills
4. Organizational skills
5. Typing skills
6. Listening skills
7. Customer service skills (in person and over phone)
8. Proofreading skills
9. Must have a working knowledge of windows-based word-processing and spreadsheet software applications. Preference for Google, Word and Excel.
1. Ability to recognize and protect confidential information
2. Ability to organize files and effectively retrieve
3. Logical reasoning; sound judgment; and the ability to deal with sensitive situations in a tactful, empathetic manner
4. Alpha and numeric recognition
5. Ability to read and comprehend City codes, permit applications, and file information
6. Ability to comprehend computer software principles
7. Ability to compute basic math computations
8. Ability to work in a hectic environment with many interruptions
9. Ability to meet specific deadlines
1. Hand and eye coordination adequate to input computer, calculator, typewriter, copy and fax machine, cash register, credit card machine, scanner, and microfilm reader
2. Ability to make and receive phone calls
3. Ability to distinguish colors
4. Ability to lift 20 pounds and transport 5 feet.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY (Direct & Indirect):
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.